Chicken Sajji is a very popular street food from Hyderabad, India. Chicken marinated in spices and sauteed with onion, curry leaves and green chilies. Chicken Sajji tastes great with Roti’s or Naan’s.
– Chicken – 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into small cubes or any other part of the chicken you prefer
– Salt as per taste
– 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Optional)
– 1 tablespoon Red chili powder (Adjust as per your heat preference)
– Juice of half a lemon (can substitute with white vinegar) and 1 tablespoon White vinegar (or more as needed for extra tangy taste)
– 2 tablespoon Olive oil or any other cooking oil (olive oil gives a better taste)
– 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds (optional)
– ½ teaspoons Fenugreek Seeds (optional) can substitute with Cumin seeds or Coriander seeds if they are not available in your area.
Delicious Chicken Sajji
– 3 large Onions finely chopped (more if you like onions, but be careful that the Chicken sajj is not burned because overcooked onions will burn Chicken Sajji.)
– 8 fresh Curry leaves (more as needed when frying Chicken to prevent it from getting burnt)
– Green chilly sliced – 1 for a mild Chicken sajji 5 for a very hot Chicken sajji (can substitute with Jalapeno or Serrano chili pepper)
– 1 tablespoon Chicken masala powder (optional) can also add if you like more flavor in Chicken sajji. If you do not have Chicken masala on hand, don’t worry Chicken Sajji tastes great without it too.
– 2 teaspoon Tomato ketchup (optional, but highly recommended to add the tanginess that Chicken Sajji is famous for!!!)
H0w to make Chicken Sajji
1. Wash and cut chicken into small cubes. Place in large bowl and marinate chicken with salt , turmeric powder, red chilly powder lemon juice and vinegar . Mix well and set aside for about 20 minutes.
2. Add oil to a pan and heat on high heat. Add Chicken cubes and fry until they are almost cooked (chicken should not be very pink in the middle.) Remove Chicken from pan and set aside.
3. If needed, add another tablespoon of oil to the same pan on medium-high heat. Then add Mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds , Curry leaves, Green Chilies and Onions . Fry onions until golden brown or soften depending up on how much time you have before Chicken sajji is served. Add Chicken cubes back to the pan/skillet along with Chicken masala powder if using them at this step.
4. Fry Chicken Sajji for about 5 minutes until Chicken get a nice color change due to Chicken masala powder and Chicken looks well cooked.
5. Once Chicken sajji is cooked, add ketchup and mix Chicken Sajji to evenly distribute ketchup in Chicken.
Chicken Sajji is ready to serve with a side of Basmati rice or Naan bread . Enjoy!